Rodger Schultz (b. 1970, Wash., DC) is a Professional American Artist who paints to heal himself. He's a non-traditional yet bonafide face-melter in the traditional sense. His philosophies are Spiritual, his movements are Scientific and his output is Artistic.
The Pinnacle, the Heap and the Crescendo of the Artistic Experience occurs when the Art, deletes the Artist (or Viewer). Because it is the pinnacle, it must also be the Goal and also the Art.
Art is the Science of exploring the Inner. Science is the Art of exploring the Outer. Ultimately they both reveal the same thing, yet if complete and utter Happiness Right Now be the goal, Art is by far, the greater of the two.
Few people realize that the actual Painting itself is only 1% of the Creative Process. Like the surface of the ocean, the Painting is the part that is seen. The other 99% is hidden beneath the surface. Im trying to game the system by making the 1% and the 99% the exact same thing.
Im weird. I study Stand-up Comedians as much as I study any other Artists. The are are mirror images of each other - the exact same, yet inverted. Comedians tell jokes with their mouths and I paint them with a brush. Its the manner of, and willingness for, self-study the self the is the greatest similarity.
WHAT IS ART?
The ancient question. Art is where it it seen. Art is when is intentionally created.
WHAT WOULD BE YOUR MAIN ADVICE FOR YOUNG ARTISTS?
Inwardly, thoroughly study the Blank Canvas. It has secrets to tell. Outwardly, understand and use neutrals. I see even professionals that dont use them. Theyre really the key to color.
RESUME / CV
- RODGER SCHULTZ
- Reston, VA / 703.380.8214 / email@example.com
- 1988-1992 Graphic Design Program, University of Maryland, Baltimore County
- 1996 Sedona, Arizona, Sculpture Apprenticeship under Ed Beathitt
- 1992-Present Fine Art Creative
- 2005-2010 Senior Visual, Information & Interface Designer ; AOL Inc., Dulles, VA
- 2003-2005 Corporate Illustrator and Iconographer; AOL Inc., Dulles, VA
- 2000-2002 Senior Graphic Designer; Exit1 Inc., Reston, VA
- 1993-1995 Signmaker; Red Rock Signs, Sedona, AZ
- 2021 Museum Group Show, Painting the Figure Now, WMOCA, Wausau, WI.
- 2021 Museum Group Show, ICONIC, WMOCA, Wausau, WI.
- 2020 Group Show, Ambivalence, 33 Contemporary Gallery , Chicago, IL.
- 2017 Solo Show, asdfasdf, Cooley Gallery, Leesburg, VA.
- 2016 Solo Show, True American Grit, Fairmont Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
- 2016 Solo Show, W DC, Washington D.C.
- 2015 Solo Show, Cooley Gallery, Leesburg, VA.
- 2015 Solos Show, Awakening, Artist Proof Gallery, Washington, D.C.
- 2014 Solo Show, Artist Proof Gallery, Washington D.C.
- 2014 Solo Show, Towers Club, Vienna, VA
- 2014 New York Affordable Arts Fair, New York, NY
- 2014 Group Show, Swatchroom Salon, Washington D.C.
- 2014 Group Show, Boxwood Estate Vineyard Gallery, Middleburg, VA
- 2014 Group Show, Artist Proof Gallery, Washington D.C.
- 2013 Group Show, Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA
- 2013 Group Show, Swatchroom Salon, Washington D.C.
- 2012 Group Show, Cooley Gallery, Leesburg, VA
- 2012 Solo Show, Cooley Gallery, Leesburg, VA
- 2012 Solo Show, The Dunes Gallery, Washington D.C.
- 2012 Group Show, O'neill Studios Annual Salon, Washington D.C.
- 2012 Solo Show, Sherwood Center Gallery, Fairfax, VA
- 2012 Art Whino, Alexandria, VA
- 2011 Group Show, G40 Art Summit, Washington D.C.
- 2011 Group Show, Modus Union Fall Salon, Washington D.C.
- 2011 Solo Show, Avenue Beau Sejour, Great Falls VA
- 2011 Charity Group Show, Lamont Bishop Gallery, Washington D.C.
- 2011 Charity Group Show for Japan, G2, Washington D.C.
- 2011 Art Whino, Alexandria, VA
- 2010 Group Show, Adam Lister Gallery, Fairfax, VA
- 2010 Solo Show and Display, Saks Fifth Avenue, Tyson's Corner VA
- 2010 Group Show, Modus Union Spring Salon, Washington D.C.
- 2010 Group Show, Modus Union Fall Salon, Washington D.C.
- 2008 Solo Show, Dumbarton Concert Gallery, Washington D.C.
- 2004 Group Show, Ropes End Biannual, Annapolis, MD
- 2003 Group Show, Artists Museum, Washington, D.C.
- 1999 Solo Show, Heartline, Sedona, AZ
- 1998 Two Man Show, Jackson Gallery, Sedona, AZ
PRESS & PUBLICATIONS
- June 2016, NBC News, with Angie Goff, Segment on LEAP Project
- October 2015, iArtistas Magazine, Interview
- May 2015, Poets & Artists Magazine #65, Heightened Perceptions
- January 2015, Poets & Artists Magazine #61, Self Portrait Edition
- Apri 2012, Sketchpad Spotlight, with Andrew Deerin, Chatham Light Media >
- July 2011, Viva Tyson's Magazine, "Loving an Artist"
- July 2011, Channel 9 WUSA SuperNova Profile >
- June 1996, Good Times Magazine, "Demonstrating Genius: New Art Phenomenon Revealed in Sedona"
THE FULL STORY OF RAS.
THE GUTENHAME SKETCHBOOK
It explains itself in the first minutes -- a two-part, three year side project of Rodger finding the story of RAS. on camera. Finding the Story is the Story.
Intended as an informal podcast curated into the shape of a Painting, Rodger finds the Greatest Thought possible to the Mind by the first hour and goes to show how it affects his work combining Art, Science, Spirituality and Ancient Wisdom.
Part 1 is more about the Artist and Part 2 is about the Art. Part 1 is what goes into the Art, Part 2 is how it comes out.
Warning: Adult language early, for potency.
It is purposeful and non-gratuitous.
Of Work Seen in the Gutenhame Sketchbook